Visa, Permit of Residence and Tax code

Practical information

To enter Italy, European Union citizens must have a valid Identity Card or Passport.
Non-European Union citizens need a passport. The passport will be stamped by Customs and permits entry for a period of three months. Visas are issued online  by the Italian Consulate in the country of residence  (usually within 90 days of application) and must specify the reason for entry, the length of stay and the destination. Now students can submit the application ONLINE  for a VISA  through UNIVERSITALY PORTAL. 
Italian law requires all foreigners to register with the Questura (Local Police) within 8 days of arrival; for those staying in hotels, hostels or camping areas, this registration is done automatically by the Hotel Reception.


Do you need a Visa ?

First of all register on UNIVERSITALY PORTAL  and  you will have access to all the needed information and services.

Complete there the online Visa application and pre-enrolment procedure.

Once the University of Bergamo has completed the necessary verification procedure, you will receive a notification in your email account specifying if the application has been approved or not.

If your application is approved, your pre-enrolment application will be transmitted to the Italian Representative. 

Italian Reprensentative in charge will contact you for further information about VISA release.

Tax code

Students can apply for the Italian tax code "codice fiscale" at he the Italian consular authority in their country before departure.

Non-resident students who did not apply for it, once arrive in Italy have to request the tax code to Agenzia delle Entrate.

Please contact the international office regarding the procedure: [email protected]


Residence permit (compulsory for NON-EU citizens)

EU citizens are no longer obliged to request the Residence Permit but should register at the municipality of Bergamo  (Comune di Bergamo - Ufficio Anagrafe) after three months have elapsed from first entry. This will automatically involve a change of residence from their Home country to Italy, with all that it entails fiscally. 

Non-EU citizens who will stay in Italy for more than 3 months must apply for the Residence Permit within 8 days of arrival, through the authorized Post Offices. 
The Residence Permit will have the same validity as the VISA.

Please find in the attachment below the complete procedure

The needed application KIT (yellow band) must be picked up at the Post Office or at a Patronato office and presented (duly filled in) together with all required documents:

  • Copy of your Codice Fiscale
  • Copy of your Passport (personal data + VISA + all stamped pages)
  • Copy of the enrollment certificate (issued by Student's Office)
  • Copy of your Health Insurance Policy (which must be valid in Italy and should cover the whole period of the Permit of Residence)
  • A special stamp called ‘MARCA DA BOLLO’, costs € 16,00 (to buy at the Tobacconist) 
  • Copy of the declaration of hospitality (Issued by the landlord or a certificate issued by Servizio allo Studio)

At the Post Office the student will ahve to pay:

  • € 70.46 (permit fee)
  • € 31.00 (for the application to be sent)