EU students

EU students should bring with them the European Health Insurance Card - TEAM.

Citizens of one of the European Union states, and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and Switzerland (as of 1 June 2002) are holders of a "European Health Insurance Card" issued in their country of origin or "Provisional Replacement Certificate"). They benefit from the necessary medical treatment (not only the urgent treatment) while on a temporary stay in Italy.

What to do in case of helth problems:

  • Make sure to have always your stay permit and your “Tessera di assistenza sanitaria”/Health Insurance Card with you.
  • For "normal"/"general" medical treatments (e.g. flu, prescriptions, a cold, etc.) you'll have to go see a general practitioner (in Italian medico di base) and the visit will be free of charge.
  • To choose a doctor check this link, type “Bergamo” in the “Comune“ box.

For specialist treatments (e.g. ultrasound scan, gynaecological visit, etc.) see the general practitioner you have chosen first.

  • You will be given a red prescription form.
  • You should then contact the CUP (Centro Unico Prenotazioni) to book the treatment as follows:
    - phone: you can call 800638638. Operators do only speak Italian;
    - go in person at the CUP Desk of the following hospitals:
    Ospedale Papa Giovanni, Ospedale, Ospedale Bolognini (Seriate), Clinica Castelli, Clinica San Francesco, Clinica Gavazzeni
Non-EU students

Voluntary registration to the Servizio Nanitario Nazionale (national health service)

Non-EU students with a Stay permit for more thean three months can apply for volunteer registration with the Servizio Nanitario Nazionale (SSN).
This will guarantee you full healthcare as provided for by Italian law and ensures you to receive same treatments as Italian and EU citizens.

Voluntary registration with the SSN occurs following a yearly payment. It refers to the calendar year (january 1st - December 31st). A SSN card will be issued, expires when your permit of stay expires.


  • Copy of your Passport and your passport;
  • Residence Permit (or the receipt you obtained at the Post Office);
  • Certificate attesting your enrollment at University of Bergamo;
  • Copy of the Tax code, issued by Agenzia delle Entrate;
  • Receipt of postal payment of 149,77€ ( current postal account: “379222”; “ addressed to: “ AMMINISTRAZIONE P.T. REGIONE LOMBARDIA”; reason for payment : “ ISCRIZIONE VOLONTARIA AL S.S.N);
  • “Dichiarazione di ospitalità” (Cessione fabbricato). It is a document stating the address where you live (ask it to the owner of the apartment or ISU office for those living in students’ Hall).

How much will it cost?

If you have a stay permit for study purposes you will pay 149,77 euros/calendar year.
If you had any income (scholarships are not to be considered as income) in the year before the enrolment (abroad or in Italy) you will have to declare it to the Local Health Board and you will pay accordingly. Only PhD students with scholarship don’t have to pay the 149,77€ fee.

How to pay? 

You have to pay it by cash at any Post Office. Payment bulletins are available at any Post Office or at the International Office.

How to get the SSN card (tessera sanitaria)?

To sign up for the health insurance card (tessera sanitaria) students have to:

  • Address the A.S.L. (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) of Bergamo or the A.S.L of the city of residence (Office “Scelta e revoca del medico”). 
    Asl Bergamo: Via Borgo Palazzo 130 – Building 6 - 24125, Bergamo. Tel. 035/2270335 - 035/2270334
  • Submit all the required documents
  • Choose a General Practitiones (a list is available at the A.S.L. Office or can consult a list of locally available doctors here: – Type “Bergamo” in the “Comune” box.
  • Receive a Temporary Health Insurance Card   (when  students have received  their electronic Permit of Residence , have  to go back to the "Scelta e Revoca Office" and ask for the definitive Health Insurance Card)

What to do with your health insurance card? 

  • Each General Practitioner has an outpatient department where you he/she garanties free general medical examinations in fixed hours. 
  • Thanks to the card you have access to several medical services, some of which must be paid for, in the form of a Ticket, including family doctor and home medical visits, hospital admissions, vaccinations, blood tests, X-rays, dental or dermatological visits (etc.).

Why should I have a private insurance?

Having a health insurance is a requirement in order to get the student visa. We strongly reccomend all the students to purchase a heath insurance before coming to Italy.
The health insurance is also mandatory to request the Resident Permit lasting one year.  According to the Italian health system, a health insurance must satisfy the following requirements:

  • It has to be taken out in the holder’s name (in western characters);
  • Be either in English or translated into Italian;
  • Be valid throughout the Schengen Area / Italy;
  • Cover the entire duration of your staying in Italy (including validity and expiry date);
  • It must clearly report the type of coverage for the medical expenses and it must have € 30.000 ceiling (expressed/converted in Euro);
  • Covering expenses in case of emergency treatment, urgent hospitalization and repatriation expenses, and provide for the policy-holder’s repatriation to their country in case of serious illness;
  • The whole document ha to be approved and stamped by the Italian Embassy/Consulate in your country.
  • In case you are not able to find a company website to purchase a health insurance, we suggest these ones (simple, understandable, easy to use and not too expensive): (INA ASSITALIA)


What to do in case of medical problems if you have a private insurance?

Go to your general practitioner (in Italian "medico di base") or to a private surgery and pay the visit.
At the end of the private visit ask the practitioner to give you an invoice (fattura) and according to the agreements of your private insurance you will have the money back.
Remember that private medical visits are very expensive in Italy.